Pic-A-Day (863) Albert Mach Fine Art
The Renault company was founded in 1899 as Societe Renault Freres by the Renault brothers. The first car, a Voiturette ICV had been built and sold in December 1898.
The Renault brothers - Louis Marcel and Fernand - decided that their reputation could be built through motor racing and entered many European races. Both Louis and Marcel Renault raced. However, Marcel was killed in the 1903 Paris-Madrid race and although the company continued to participate in racing, Louis never raced again. Fernand retired in 1906.
This four-cylinder, French-built Renault received a complete restoration that was completed in June of 2009.
This 1913 Renault Type DM car was built on October 25, 1913, in Billancourt (Seine) France. It was licensed for Great Britain and the Colonies and shipped to England on December 6, 1913. The 'swooping hood' is an identifying marker of the early Renaults. The cooling system has the radiator at the rear of the engine and the fan is located on the flywheel which is on the output of the engine crankshaft. The engine compartment is sealed off with a metal pan on the underside of the engine and a shroud around the fan on the flywheel. This results in air being drawn into the engine compartment through the radiator and exhausted out through the fan opening on the bottom of the car. The wheels are designed so they can be quickly and easily removed. The design is such that it only requires the hubcap be removed. This is accomplished by pushing in two pins and swinging aside locking rings. The hubcap is then unscrewed and the wheel removed.
The above historical information is from:
I took the images auto at this year’s Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.
The show was wonderful, full of amazing vehicles.
You have to come and see it to believe it next year in 2018!
Don’t miss one of the most fabulous events of the year held on the second weekend in March.
Link to information here: